I was going to title it in good company, but I'm not quite sure if the good applies to this situation.
I was SO excited about this recipe for chili pie I found in a magazine that I even bought meat for the first time in at least 6 months. Mac and I even chatted about how yummy it was going to be over Gmail and text message.
The weather has been so nice the past few days and Luke and I have enjoyed being outside immensely. I didn't want a little (pressure cooking) pot of kidney beans to stand in my way of enjoying a sunny, warm afternoon. It had about 15-20 minutes left when Luke woke up from his nap and I took my cell phone with me as we headed outside so I could keep myself apprised of the time. I think we can all see where this is going by now, or at least if you couple that information with the facts that I am forgetful and we had a great time playing for about 30 minutes.
I walked into my apartment to find smoke everywhere, a loudly beeping smoke detector, and the wonderful aroma of incinerating dinner. I sent Mac the following message: "ruined dinner". I opened the windows, turned on some fans, and turned off the heat and headed back outside to play. I figured we could have spaghetti or something less stressful.
I told my neighbor/visiting teacher who was playing outside with us what had happened, and she encouraged me to not give up on it and try to save what wasn't burned. After another hour or so of playing I headed back in, salvaged what was left of the beans, mixed everything together and put it in the oven to cook. I promptly sent a message to Mac saying "Dinner saved. Feel like a rockstar". Thankfully, I did not burn it a second time.
Mac did what any dutiful husband did. He bravely ate the chili pie. When I mentioned the burned flavor he even said "Oh, I thought it was supposed to be like that, you know, smoked bean flavor. I like it". And you KNOW Mac isn't lying or sweet-talking. He doesn't have it in him to be disingenuous.
So, Jayne, you are in (good?) company with the whole burning of dinners thing. Any advice on how to save my pressure cooker from the burned stuff at the bottom? Or get this awful, headache-inducing smell out of my house?
5 comments:
I feel that I am in great company! We tried all kinds of stuff to get the junk out, and the one that worked I can't recommend because it was so gross. We boiled vinegar in the pan for 30 seconds and the stuff did come off, but the stinging awful horrible stench left from the vinegar was 100 times worse than having burned stuff on my pan.
Boiling dish soap was also tried, but the fumes were bad there too and I turned it off quick.
Also, I'm a pressure-cooker novice, so you'd better ask my Mom on that one - she's the pro!
Good Luck!! :)
My pressure cooker is non-stick!
Lucky! Was it a million dollars? I'll have to start saving for one, cause I have a feeling that isn't the last dinner I'll burn.
They're about $125 I think. Cuisinart.
Wow, that's not even that bad. I mean mine was like half that, and probably not half as cool.
Post a Comment